Saturday, August 15, 2009

Afternoon journal fun

Yesterday afternoon I wanted to paint outside. To make things easy I just picked a yellow, blue, red, white and umber, two brushes, water and pencil and sat in the afternoon sun. Then I painted with no plan, no reference photo or anything. This is still a new process for me. I used to have to look at something. Now I don't want to (most of the time). I am learning to trust the brush and just allow myself to follow it. So relaxing.Then I heard some unpleasant news and decided to go inside and work on another page. I'm not happy with the writing (on this page and some others). I would like to have a pen/pencil that will not be too visible and yet - more visible than what you see on this page. I tried different things but I just can't get the effect I'm looking for. Maybe I'm asking for too much. Oh well.... looking for it is part of the fun.
Happy weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Its wonderful these pages, so full of colour and great drawing. I still have to have a reference as I dont trust myself yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you are trusting the brush because your brush is really working for you. You have painted two wonderful pages.

    Have you tried using pencil to get the effect you wish? If you do, then just seal it with matte medium and it won't smudge.

    I've been planting tomatoes.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We learn by doing and we are not always happy with the results, but then there is always another blank space waiting for our marks.

    The kitty in the first painting looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kelly. You always have another blank space waiting for you.

    I would not have guessed the second one did not come out the way you wanted had you not said something. I think they both came out very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely paintings...outside is always the best...trust you brush and the work of your hands...i miss you...hugs, rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so great...especially with only a few colors. Interested to find out about your vision with the pencil markings...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have wonderful talent. I love the expression "to trust the brush" The colors you are using lately are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could paint outside...it's way too hot here.Maybe in the fall.
    Let's hear it for happy kitties!
    Great art,Z!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful Zorana. I especially love the one with the little house...my favourite colours.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete