Thursday, August 9, 2007

How to paint a water drop

After having a lot of fun with the long tutorial from yesterday's post, I thought I'd post a short one today. I recently painted these cherries for a friend. My Mom called me all excited, but not about the cherries. She loved the water drop on them and asked me how I painted it.I made a quick step by step worksheet for her. This time the water drop is a tear because I'm sad that she's in lot of pain. The humongous cast went off, and she is heeling well, but it will take time and now it hurts more than before. It will get better with time.
1. Water drop should be painted the same color as the base it's on.
2. I added a darker shade on the outside bottom right corner.
3. Same dark shade on the left side inside the drop.
4. Deepened the shade inside.
5. Added a highlight on the inside of the drop.
6. A thin highlight on the opposite side and a tiny dot somewhere on the shaded area.
That's it. I painted this very quickly, so it's far from perfect... but I hope you get the idea.
I wish you more dew drops than tears.

11 comments:

  1. This is fabulous as truly I've always wanted to paint water drops...or tears. Thank you for this!
    I'm sorry to hear your Mom is in so much pain..hopefully as the healing continues that will start to subside.
    poor thing!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyy there.. everytime i type Zorana in google. i get your wonderful blog filled with more imagination and art then a gallary. =] Zorana being my name as well, makes me very happy to that your name is Zorana.

    nice work,
    Zorana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with your wonderful tutorial I'm sure I could never paint water drops as beautifully as you do.

    I'm sorry to hear your mom is in pain but hopefully the healing will be quick and she will feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderfully usefull mini tutorial...i am sure many will improve their skills with this...good job...here's hoping your mother recovers soon...
    blessings, rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed this refresher course on tears and dew drops. I knew how many moons ago, when I was an oil painter. It's not like riding a bicycle. You do forget. When you posted the cherries, I thought to myself, "I wish I could still do that". So thanks I'm going to try it soon.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a brilliant artisit you are! and very busy too, so many cards in this page alone! Fabulous, I'll come back. ( found you through artsyMama's party)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, the drop really pops out of the drawing. beautiful, thanks for doing a tutorial - and the one posted yesterday is so great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so smart, Zorana! This is excellent..thank you so much for sharing this tip!

    Good thoughts toward you mom... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you have made it look very easy. You are a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for explaining! I wonder why we never learned to do it (at the art school).
    It's finally raining today, I'll try painting a drop!

    ReplyDelete