Saturday, June 9, 2007

Michael deMeng's workshop

What a wonderful day! I felt so completely out of my comfort zone that I wanted to run away from the class. Just ask my friend Connie... I threatened more than once that she'd have to hike her way home (we came with my car). She couldn't have cared less... she was having a blast, pounding metal and singing at the same time. Her piece turned out to be one of the best (and got high praises from the teacher). This is her soda can:
We had a chance to look and hold and explore Michael's art.... There is a glow and strong energy that you feel from it; very unique. After looking at the originals, no wonder that it was intimidating to create something from junk and crushed cans.
I had a feeling that many people in the class knew what they were doing. At least they seemed to jump right into it without any concern. I wasn't one of them... When I pulled out my little 'make mistakes' box, it helped me to relax and start assembling things. My soda shrine looked sad.... then ridiculous... then a little bit better but still bad...
At the end, after layers and layers of paint and some very clever suggestions from the teacher it turned into a piece that I like. I decided not to finish the back side, I love the fact that it is a simple crushed soda can and I want to be able to see it.
It was an amazing day! I often say that workshops are very important. There is always something to learn, something to inspire, something to push your limits... all the good stuff. If you have a chance to attend Michael deMeng's class - grab the opportunity. He is helpful, knowledgeable, funny, ultra creative and super cool. I learned a lot and I'm sure you'll see some of it in whatever I create in the future.

13 comments:

  1. OMG your icon turned out FABULOUS ! I love it. Thanks so much for everything. It was a day I will never forget. P. S. I've been working on ahhh sem blodge's all day long... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you right now I would have been WAAAY out of my comfort zone. Perhaps besides everything else that's one of the reasons I opted out(without even realizing it)....BUT...I love seeing what you two created and to hear you did enjoy the class and Michael DeMeng.
    I need to learn it's ok and that there are things to be learned in the process.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky. And I am so glad you stayed with the class. Your piece is wonderful and I'm glad you took a couple of pictures in progress. Like that. Your firend piece is stunning. Wow I'm sure wondering how she got that image on there. And I'd like to hear more about your little mistake box.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Edgy like DeMeng and I still can see you in your pieces. You created a wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eye CANdy!!! I LOVE them both! xoCinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finished piece is fabulous and I so understand the 'want to walk out' - I was the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! His classes sound like so much fun! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! This was wonderful! Recycled treasure! I think that it turned out great!

    And Hoo RAy!! for you to step out of that comfort zone and to stick with it. You ended up enjoying yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll never look at a soda can the same way again ZO! That's fab!
    Sounds like you had a great time too!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading your story so much. What beautiful work you ended up creating. You must feel so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so awesome!!! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cudzsThanks so much for posting photo's Zorana and telling us about the class. I would have been way out of my comfort zone too!

    You created a beautiful work of art. I look forward to seeing how it influences your beautiful art in the future...

    ReplyDelete