Thursday, June 14, 2007

Colorful mess

A week has passed and I have almost nothing to show. I don't have any "me" time and I find it very difficult to be in company and pour myself into an art project at the same time. I carry my sketch book around and draw some marks on the paper when I can, but it's nothing really 'showable', just simple drawings.
I was completely blown away with the color combinations that Michael deMeng showed us last week and wanted to reproduce them. I found a big particle board and placed it on my table. During the week I added textures and color washes. It was easy to pick up a brush, paint a transparent layer here and there and move on to other things. Now I have no idea what to do with it. It is so heavily textured that I can't paint over it... or collage... stamp... I really didn't like how the middle part turned out, so I had to cover it somehow. Butterflies are a separate canvas (that lives on my wall). I didn't attach it to the color mess (yet).
This is a 'making memories big time' period for our family and I'm enjoying it. It is wonderful to see the kids interacting with their grandparents, my husband's happy face when he hugs his Mom, or teaches his Dad the abc of computers... The last time we were together was many years ago. Still, the little selfish voice inside is complaining that it needs paper and paint and glue and some solitude... Sometimes I wonder how I ever lived without creating...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to share and you did have something to share. I love the colorful mess and from here what you have done with it lookes wonderful. The memory pictures are wonderful too and I want some of what ever that is that your m-i-l made. But the best is the pic with the two of you in profile. It inspires me and you should capture it on canvas. This "generations in profile" will be my inspiration for today and I'm jotting it down in my "inspriation" journal. x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your lack of creating time and also to your last sentence. The textured background you made is so beautiful the way the colors all meld into each other and become something else. The gold in the middle is perfect. I'm sure you will get an idea soon and be off and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOLD! Whatever your mother-in-law is holding in that pan, I'll take a dozen! Looks delicious!!

    My family makes a similar looking treat out of ricotta cheese..."ricotta puffs" covered in sugar...oh so bad for you...

    You all look like you're having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete