Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday - In Good Time

"Get out the timer and set it for a reasonable amount of time — I am going to suggest 30 minutes, but you can adjust the time limit to what best suits your project, medium and work methodologies, but try to allow yourself less time than it usually takes you to complete a piece. Then challenge yourself to start and finish a piece of art before time is up. The point is not to haphazardly throw something together just for the sake of finishing it, but to challenge yourself to work fast so there is no time for second guessing yourself or letting any pesky inner critics speak their voices."
I didn't set the timer, but all photos in this entry are done much faster than I usually work. Yesterday I sketched some lovely green trees (minus the green leaves) while my daughter was having fun in the swimming pool. Last night... half asleep, I sketched this face on a piece of paper (that I used previously to try out my new spider pens). Today I wanted to draw/paint more trees... so I decided to try the "Inspire me Thursday" challenge and work fast, without second guessing every brush move. And I did. I combined the two sketches and finished this canvas much faster than I would normally do. My inner critic SCREAMED and is still screaming, but I feel some sense of calm... I don't know why. Probably because I decided that however it turns out it will be okay.

2 comments:

  1. so beautiful! good thing you did not listen to the scream ... love the colored canvas which combines everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked looking through your blog. I especially liked reading about the collage workshop you went to. You really seemed to get a lot out of it. That was fun seeing you pics and all the colors in your playing with some of the new techniques you learned.

    ReplyDelete