Friday, January 31, 2014

Letting go

It is said that we paint ourselves over and over and over again. If it is so, then this is the most true self-portrait I ever painted. I don't mean the physical resemblance (far off, and I didn't even try). More that it is a true portrait of my feelings. It is also the favorite thing I painted in 2013. Not sure why I didn't show it earlier... maybe because it came from the place we usually guard and keep for ourselves. I took pictures of the process, which I hope you will enjoy. 
-24"x36", mixed media on canvas-
After helping our daughter move far, far away and officially becoming an empty-nester, I tried releasing my emotions through a Flora Bowley way of painting. No thinking, just colors and music and layers... Here are the first stages of the painting.
And then the subconscious started working and she emerged, and the two birds with their beautiful wings spread out were suddenly there too...
I didn't fight it. I knew exactly that I was painting my children, and that it was me there, letting them go, calm and sure, and accepting of the new phase in our lives.
Interesting how those things happen.... It felt good.
When I finished the painting I was completely ok with all of it and ready to celebrate what comes next.
Can you believe that it is the last day of January? Already?
xoxoxoxo

12 comments:

  1. You've made what could have been a sad time to a happy time! I did a similar thing a couple of years ago when one of mine flew the nest and I drew a picture of a woman letting go of a bird so that he could fly from her. This painting has such depth of emotion from all those lovely layers, the beauty of it shines through!
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply gorgeous and I am happy to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning, absolutely stunning Zorana!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Thanks for showing all the steps to the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful painting and a fabulous story to go along with it. I loved seeing your step by step intuitive journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! Fascinating to see how the images evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love how you poured yourself into this painting, and how it represents letting your kids fly off into their own lives. It's so beautiful and so filled with emotion...and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zorana, This is so beautiful, I love the story around it and all the shots in progress that you shared. Intuitive painting truly takes you places you never knew you would go. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work, Zorana, this is just brilliant. Love the flow, the serenity, the profoundness. I found you through a Pinterest pin, and following your blog now.

    Do you maintain an art journal, Zorana? If yes, pls do hop over to http://sunnyellowindow.blogspot.in/2014/03/Art-Journal-Prompts.html and join in The Art Journal Exploits club.

    Will drop by often to see your paintings here!

    ReplyDelete