Thursday, May 2, 2013

Big painting finished :-)

Zorana painting art angels wings mixed media
It is done! 73" x 43" - the biggest painting I've done so far...
This is how it began: I didn't want to use stretch bars for the canvas, as they are not well suited for the way I paint. After some thought, my oh-so-handy husband asked if it would help if we temporarily stretch it on a hard surface. So it started with a visit to Home Depot, measuring and attaching the canvas to plywood. That is temporary thing, as the canvas will be sent rolled up and framed later. 
Where do you start when so much white is staring back at you? It took me two days to make myself begin. Then I started bravely with brushstrokes of dark colors and covered the whole surface. 
After that it was easier. I just attacked it. Day after day, after day. I didn't rush to finish it. I knew that the colors were supposed to be brown/tan, the background muted, three angels as the focal, so I worked in thin glazes of color to give it depth.
Zorana painting art angels wings mixed media
You can't see it here, but there were many textural elements added at this point, and it was interesting to see how the colors interact and glide over them.
Before the faces above turned into faces below. I had to ask for help.
Zorana painting art angels wings mixed media close up
So many times I do something with the eyes that I don't like, and I don't know how to correct it. Luckily, my daughter sees the problem with one glance.
Hana painting art angels wings mixed media
I asked her if she can correct it, and without hesitation - she took the paintbrush and did. I was so happy with the result that I promptly asked her to help with the angel on the right too. What will I do when she leaves for college in couple of short months?
Hana painting art angels wings mixed media
I might stick to textures, colors and other things I know how to do.
texture painting art angels wings mixed media close up
 texture painting art angels wings mixed media close up
I'm holding my head here because I was waiting for my husband "forever" to push the button and take the picture, and I was extremely uncomfortable. Unfortunately the colors didn't turn right and I didn't want to repeat posing, so it is what it is. At least I have a document of it.
Zorana painting art angels wings mixed media
I loved painting big a lot. I also loved the calm, almost monochrome palette  But now I'm very ready to go back to many happy colors and my journal, birds and other regular stuff. Thank you for following this painting from the beginning to the finish line and for cheering me along the way!
xoxo

16 comments:

  1. Awesome! Beautiful! How wonderful that your husband helped you set up and that your daughter came along and helped too. Congrats on the finished product, It's darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZORANA - it is absolutely beautiful! As beautiful as you! I can see all the effort your heart and soul put into this picture - it is full of good spirit and will be appreciated by its new owner, appreciated and loved! :-)
    Your daughter is a treasure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just wonderful!
    I wish I could do big!

    Fabulous work, you are clever.
    Xxx
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your documentation of this wonderful huge and hugely wonderful piece. You are the queen of texture. But oh how soft and lovely the skin tones are in their faces. Loved seeing your oh-so-handy husband and your oh-so-talented daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Zorana, and I love that your family got involved with it too, my family help me out a lot also, it's great to have that support!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! quite an accomplisment!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my word! i had no idea how big this is! wonderful!!! LOVE all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting. Love family cooperation in creative projects, helps connect even more. i know you'll miss your girl but she has to spread her wings and fly. All kids do :)
    I would love to see this in person, feel the textures, see shadows, believe it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite a project, Zorana! You did a wonderful job with the colours and faces! it's nice when the whole family participates and comes up with such beautiful results.
    Have a wonderful Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't find the words to tell you how wonderful this is. I'm not rendered speechless very often...so that says quite a lot! Truly beautiful....made even more by a family effort!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an accomplishment! I can't stop looking at it because it's so beautiful. And I love that close-up of the texture...wow! You should be extremely proud of this painting, and I hope its new owner loves and appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a splendid project. And so awesome. Such a wonderful and gorgeous painting Zorana. Beautiful faces, so serene. You may be so proud on this work.
    lovely greet
    Marja

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow......what a painting.........it is awesome..

    ReplyDelete