Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Trying different things

I was playing with different materials over the weekend, doing the assignments for Misty Mawn's portrait workshop. This one is painted only with inks, white acrylic paint and a black pencil. I completely overdid it and lost most of the color, but it was a fun thing to do and it looks different than my usual colorful stuff. 
The following one scares me  bit.... It's obvious that I didn't have much control over her, because if I did I would not leave her looking so serious (or angry or scary). I finger-painted her face with Shiva paintsticks. As I painted the telephone rang at least 3 times, so I left color fingerprints on it, on the remote control too... very messy. It was very interesting... the paint under your fingers just calls you to keep on going, adding, rubbing.... fun. Now if I would only have time to practice some more with the paintsticks, maybe the face would turn out the way I want it.
I was pretty comfortable with the last exercise - big girls' crayons and white paint. I've did that many times before, so I just relaxed and painted (while watching NCIS rerun again... I'm addicted). This girl looks familiar. I was actually surprised when I finished painting, and went through my old journals to see if I painted her before, but I couldn't find her.
There is one exercise left... she made it look easy, but I know it will be challenging for me. I'll show it if I decide to try.

12 comments:

  1. Zorana, your girls are soooo pretty! love the one in the middle!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zorana-I came upon your blog because I am researching rosin paper for a new technique I am trying out-and your art is breathtaking! I love how it looks like its sketchy and personal but realistic and has life and emotion! Wonderful work!-Soraya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with joanna. I love your girls, but I like the redhead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zorana, I love your girls, love the redhead the most! Her lips are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work.
    Whenever I'm painting at my easel with oils, I almost always end up finger painting to make adjustments.
    Welcome to the blue finger nail club ~ Now, you're hanging with the "In" crowd. lol~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Zorana...remember me :)
    I have been sitting here looking at your videos...my you paint fast LOL
    I love your own style...and I am glad it always comes through no matter how many classes you take. I adore your redhead that is your color palate...and your roses they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're all different and yet they all have that gorgeous Zorana look. Your gals have always been some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Zorana, I'm in Sharon's class with you--that's how I found your blog. I love your girls, and the texture and layers in your artwork. I'll be looking forward to seeing you paintings from Sharon's class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zorana-thanks for stopping by my blog-avacado pudding sounds yummy! I was wondering if you knew why rosin paper is used for art projects? It's actually used in construction (of homes etc!!). I also love your 3 portraits here. The middle girl does not look scary-intense maybe but not scary. Also-love your colors too. I recently started using Siva oil-stiks and love them but I also use tons of other stuff too. -Soraya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love this journal page!! the colors are just yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love everything you do...I like how you show different media. I'm in Sharon's class too but I have yet to try one her faces. I'm off to watch your videos...thanks for doing them.
    Cheers,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the middle piece. I think she's so beautiful and calm. Love the flowers. Collage or painted by you?

    ReplyDelete