Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Red Rosin Paper

I received several questions about red rosin paper, so I thought it would be the best if I answered them here.
I first heard about this paper several years ago. I can't remember which artist used it and did I read about it in a blog or a magazine, but I remember the enthusiasm she had while describing it.
First time I tried it was in Katie Kendricks workshop. There was a big roll of it and we could cut as much as we needed. It was love at first sight! I admit that I didn't fall in love with the color it has... this kind of dirty pink doesn't really inspire me much.
What I loved was the fact that I could collage, paint, scratch, collage some more, paint over it, scrub, sand, paint etc. etc. and the paper would handle it beautifully. It is absolutely perfect for my newly found "I enjoy the process and don't care that much about the final look" thing.
Red rosin paper is used as a construction material. Not to be confused with construction paper (although it does look a little bit like it before it's transformed into something else). You buy it in big rolls in places like Home Depot and Lowes (in the section where they have paint, glues and stuff like that). It is heavy weight and wonderful.
After all the layers of paint and collage material I sewed through sometimes three papers and it handled it without a tear. What's not to love?

In case that you are willing to try it, and not buy the whole roll, you might be interested in the blank journals I made from it. They are just waiting for colorful spreads of your imagination. Or - if not - I am sure that I will fill them all before this year is over. The journals are listed in my etsy shop (here).
If you have any other questions - let me know and I'll try to answer them as quickly as I can.
Happy creating!

6 comments:

  1. NOw I am curious...I have wondered about this paper too and can't remember where I first read about it. Now I have to make a trip to home depot!

    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing about this paper, too. Tomorrow I think you might find me at Home Depot! Your journals are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. greyt to see you are back and blogging.
    I too heard about rosin paper but can't remember where .
    would love to be able to buy some but as I'm in europe don't know where.
    Do you know of anywhere that sells like small sheets of it.
    would luv to know
    and hey can't leave without commenting on your greyt artword
    hugs
    joan in italy

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the journals-I think I'd really love the paper too:) I added it to my favorites on etsy, maybe soon I can buy one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic Zorana and I love the sound of the rosin paper (havent heard of it before, but will keep an eye out for it.

    Love these images and quotes.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for filling us in on this rosin paper. I must go check it out.

    ReplyDelete