Sunday, February 15, 2009

How I make ACEO/ATCs - a little (but very long) tutorial

Last week I was making ATC cards from prints of my January journal pages. I love them! I can't seem to stop playing with them, arranging them in many different ways, looking at colors and the way they interact. It seems that it's been ages ago since I created in that size and used collage as the main technique. I thought it would be fun to go back and revisit the 'old times'. I remembered to take pictures of the process, so that I can share.Gather your supplies. I found a piece of painted watercolor paper and cut it to size (2.5"x3.5"), little bird pictures from an old book, butterfly transparencies and little children pictures from a collage sheet. Would you believe that these four are the only collage little beings I have? I had tons... but they disappeared in the move. Who knows what I've done with them...Arrange them in any way that pleases you and glue with soft matte medium (or glue stick).
Now is the time to take your colored pencils, acrylics, stamps... anything that will add your mark to collage images and make them your own. I like to use my caran d'ache crayons to paint the little outfits.
I added words found in a book and used my sewing machine to add more texture to the cards.
My son used to play a game with store bought ATCs, so I have many left over from that time. I use them to back my own cards. It makes them very sturdy. I love the way they feel.
Over the years I have been asked many times how I add the 'amber colored dimensional border'. This is what I use:
I didn't know that UTEE (ultra thick embossing powder) changes color when it's overheated, but I loved the effect when I saw it. I simply take the card and dip it into the melted UTEE.
It takes only seconds to dry.
I repeat it for all sides.
And this is the result - a handful of collaged, framed artist trading cards.
I hope you enjoyed this demo. Let me know if you try it.
All my cards (original and embellished prints from my journal pages) are listed in my etsy store.

15 comments:

  1. You make everything look so effortless! These are all fantastic...and I always stare at my neocolors and never know what to do with them...thank you for making this tutorial! Glad to see you got some art in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great demo Zorana (can see I will have to source some of that Utee and a melting pot). The effect is great, amber being one of my favourite colours. AND, yet another use for those gorgeous neocolors... Fabulous ATC's!

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial and your ATC's are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely atc's!! Maybe I'll try your tutorial... Thanks!!

    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, a melting pot is definitely on my wish list now! These are all so cute! Thank you for sharing your technique with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Loved the tutorial and hearing your secrets about the amber edge.
    And that one with the red wings and feeding the yellow birds.....she mine
    because I got there first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMword! This is great. Thanks for sharing! I love them all but especially the little wing-ed kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the great tutorial...your results are wonderful.
    It is such fun to see each stage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous demo! What a treat to see the mystery behind the making! Thank you for sharing.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! Love your ATC's. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the tutorial -- thanks! These cards are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your technique. I love it when artists are so generous with their knowledge. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. cool! thanks for the great pics of the your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them very much !
    xox Rini the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete