Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 7

Hana says I look like I have 'grillz' (in the painting, not the photo). Very funny!I wanted to hide the page I created today, but I won't. I find paintings that show faces with teeth weird and sometimes creepy. So what possessed me to try it, I don't know. It was an ambitious try, and I guess I was feeling brave. Maybe because this is one of the rare photos of myself that I can tolerate (I don't mind the big nose, chin(s), crazy hair and all the other things I always see). Sharon took this picture the evening we painted together for the first time.
I showed her how I paint roses (and she got it immediately), and then she demoed one of the ways she paints faces. I was feeling insecure in the beginning but she has a very special way to get rid of the fear and creative inhibitions. It is funny and loud and scared my husband, so he came to check on us. He also brought glasses of wine (which helped too).
I think we went to sleep at 2:30 am that night.... and I remember that I wanted to write down the things she showed me because I knew that I will forget them. And I did... But I can't forget how fun it was to laugh and talk and paint together. And now I have a weird journal page that will help me remember it even more.

9 comments:

  1. I wish I could have joined you two...so much fun! I am getting to know you guys... I can tell which one of you painted each page. And they are both perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suze I wish I could have been there too... what fun!
    Zorana I love that photo that Sharon took of you, so natural and so happy! So glad you shared the page with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a great time! I too have a horrible time drawing things with teeth. They never turn out wuite like they are suppose to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the two journal pages and those gorgeous roses. Wish I could paint them like that. Sure sounds like you and Sharon had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love each of the pages you've shown since the beginning of the month. But I especially like the one where you're sleeping. I'm so happy for you that you had such a fun visit with Sharon....and got to have painting lessons, too! Not that you need any of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just so love that you posted this...i think it is an amazing painting...i'm still trying to overcome some anxiety about a loaded paintbrush approaching my face in a self portrait...and i really love how you use paint with subtle variations in your facial features to create so much depth...and it looks like it was such a fun evening together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Love those little journal books ..
    I wish i had a friend to paint with, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, These pages are wonderful. I wish I could draw like you and Misty. I'll find my own someday. I just gotta keep creating, right!
    Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHHHHHHH how fun a pajama art party would be. You both had a blast I am so sure.

    ReplyDelete