Monday, November 3, 2008

"Do I detect a little Suzi here? Is it painted on wood?" - asked Suze while commenting here.

Yes. And yes. Suze was right.
I never painted on untreated wood before. It's a completely different experience than when there is a layer of gesso or primer. I also never used a wood burner. I loved it! The smell is wonderful! In my mind I was in cabin surrounded by snow, while sipping wine in front of a fire place.
The painting looks like an orange blob on the photo, but up close it's different. There are layers upon layers, it's very textured and colorful. I hope some of it shows on the close up photos. I was in heaven pulling out all the supplies, painting and making a huge mess in my studio.
The easel is a gift from my mother. I'm not very comfortable painting on it yet. But I am getting used to it. There is another piece of wood on it right now. I'm off to play...

5 comments:

  1. You are so my favorite!!! It's beautiful...so many new things to think about now..burning the wood..sheesh..I have that tool (of course I do)...those layers are totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole painting is beautiful, the texture is beautiful, she is beautiful and the easle is beautiful. Sweet Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is entirely beautiful....subject, colors, layers......everything!! I love this Zorana and makes me want to get out my woodburner and a board!
    XOXOXOOX
    p.s.I know the smell you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy sigh....I love this and the colors sing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful...I want to buy a woodburner now (but alas have more pressing things I actually need!). I love the effect of the woodburning tool and by the sound of things will love the smell too!

    Did you use the birch ply or some other type of wood. I have been searching for some birch ply here in Aust. but to date havent found any.

    Love the texture of this piece and the glorious colours!

    ReplyDelete