Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hair, heat, computer, ZNE

I have several things for show & tell, but the computer is so slow that I don't know if I'll be patient enough for it. It is a hot, hot, hot, hot, hot day.... something we are not very much used to in North CA. Maybe my comp. needs to take a shower (bad idea).
I went to the mall yesterday with Hana. That's a big deal, because I don't like shopping and go only when she really needs something. As we were walking out, a guy selling hair extensions called her and her face lit up. I said that I will never buy the extensions, but he wanted to demo anyway... and I decided to let her have her fun. To make the story shorter - the extensions are made from human hair and look unbelievably real. She loved them. I refused to buy them. I don't want my 13-y old to be a complete fake... so we had a long talk about it and I think she understood. Anyway, I was inspired to paint a long haired girl, and I wanted to paint the whole figure.... but I started with one huge eye and then there was only room for the face. sigh. Good thing I didn't go for real likeness (I wish I could do that), because I would have failed miserably. I used the page to journal about our day and talk.
Last Sunday I had a rare opportunity to meet some web-known friends. I couldn't afford to go to ZNE ConvenZioNE, but I also couldn't miss the opportunity to visit the free vending day... Several years ago we had a tight nit group on eBay and were communicating daily. I have art from all of these ladies in my home, and they have mine too. It felt like we were old friends, although we met that day.
You can see Lani, JoAnna, Chel, Connie...... and you can't see Kris (because we forgot to take a photo). They all said that they had a great time, so I hope to join them next year. BTW - I was asked to teach next year... and I have no idea what or would anyone take my class. We'll see. I'll be happy to go and take a class and have some artful fun.
I've had it with the slow computer, so I'll continue tomorrow. Time to snack on some watermelon and cool down. xo

10 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Thank you for sharing your ZNE adventure. Your Hana is beautiful and I think you actually did get a likeness of her in you journal.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Hana's #1 haircut fan....my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw her picture! Until I read your post, I couldn't believe how her hair could have gotten so long so fast! LOL

    What a great time to meet your online pals!! I wish the convention was closer to my home! Someone needs to throw an event down here...who doesn't like San Diego??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did capture hour daughter...She is beautiful. You captured a gentleness anf youthful naivety.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you captured her beautifully, really!!!
    I wanted to go to Pleasanton for all or part of the ZNE ConvenZioNE but it didn't work out for me. I hope to go next year (and thankfully it's in April I think when it's not so HOT)ACCK this heat!!
    I think it's wonderful they've asked you to teach next year!!!
    Hopefully we won't have to wait until then to finally meet!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be someone who would love to take a class with you teaching. Now if I only lived in NoCA instead of SoCA!!

    Hana is beautiful and your painting does look like her. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with everyone else. Beautiful daughter, good likeness (you are too hard on yourself) and yes! I would definately take a class from you.
    Watermelon sounds good right now,too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great to meet up with your zine friends !!!
    Gorgeous photo of Hana and there is very much a likeness (arent we just so critical of ourselves???)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Zorana...Thank you so much for your sweet words on my blog! It really was so cool to see you in person! That would be fantastic if you taught a class next year! I would love to hang out and paint with you all day!!
    Take Care
    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Zorana! It was SO great to meet you! I'm just bummed I didn't get a picture :(. Maybe next time!
    xoxox,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zorana, It was such a pleasure to meet you and see your beautiful face and smile in person. I think of you always when I step on my scale...remember (the one painted in roses) I miss our little tight ebay group. Hope to see you again in April and have more time to chat.
    hugs,
    joanna

    ReplyDelete