Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sightseeing...

Mark Twain said (or maybe not - some say he didn't say it): "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco''. Today was a day like that. We wanted to show Golden Gate to my in laws... but the weather wasn't cooperating. My poor mother in law froze from the extra cold wind from the Pacific. I couldn't see anything from the hair that was constantly in my face. Still - I love the bridge and love crossing it even if the weather is so fierce. One man lost his cap to the wind and we all watched it fall into the ocean. The funny thing is that when it touched the water a dolphin showed right beside it... like he was checking what it is. He disappeared as soon as he concluded that it's not that interesting.








We drove through the famous Lombard Street and admired the beautiful houses and flowers.
After that I had a great idea that we should visit Jack London Square and admire the boats there. We took a picture of this lovely statue...

But the truth is that I wasn't thinking about the boats or statues... I wanted to visit Barns & Nobles to buy the new "Cloth Paper Scissors" mag. Misty and Chrysti have wonderful articles in it. I read them in the car on the way home... I couldn't wait. Both articles are great! I can't wait to try the techniques they shared. The only thing I need is a little time for myself and for art...

5 comments:

  1. If Twain didn't say it, I would!! I don't think I've ever been as cold as I was one summer vacation in SF....and I grew up in Illinois!! I enjoyed seeing all the photos but it made me miss my favorite city. I'd live there if I could afford it!!

    I hope you got your magazine. It's my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark Twain did say that quote! Funny, I was in SF on Monday...and we took the one hour Bay Cruise that went right under the bridge(see my blog post)it was COLD. Isn't it fun to be a tourist in your own backyard? Did you all walk across the bridge?
    Jack London Square - two great places to eat are Scott's and Jack's Bistro (I'm sure you've probably eaten there). I can never go there without stopping in B&N although we have one here. Habit I guess!
    Sounds like you had a lovely time!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I live in Orange county). One year we decided to take a Cruise to the Mexican Riviera..we had never been. We packed our bathing suits and shorts and got on the ship in San Pedro. Would you know that there was a hurricane off Baja and they re-routed the cruise? Guess Where- yep. SF. We quickly turned from drinking tropical drinks by the pool, to huddled inside playing BINGO drinking coffee drinks. The ship sold out of every fleece item in record speed. I have been to SF so many times too...never for such an expensive trip as by ship though. lol The point is I can relate to your MIL...look at this picture of me freezing on Alcatraz! It was like 50 degrees and that was all the warm clothes we had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live only 2 hours if that from SF! And I have yet to experience this wonderful, beautiful city! Is that crazy or what?!

    Some day..

    ReplyDelete
  5. All my life I've heard that quote attributed to W.C. Fields. There may be no way to know for sure.

    But I sure do understand it, whoever said it!

    ReplyDelete