Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Intuitive Watercolor

The throat snake didn't leave. I can't speak, but I can type!
Thank you for the get well wishes :-)
Do you know the wonderful feeling when you realize that you didn't expect much and got a lot from something? That is what happened to me with this book. When I saw the title - Artist Trading Card Workshop - I thought that I didn't need a workshop because that is the format I am most comfortable working in and I created hundreds of cards. I decided to get the book anyway because I deeply respect Bernie Berlin's work and because I know some of the people that submitted their cards for the book.
I was so wrong in judging the book by the title! This will probably be one of my favorite books of all times! It is so nice to hold, to look through, to read. I have worked in many of the techniques, but the way they are presented makes them new, fresh and inviting. And I must admit that there are many other techniques that I never tried and I can't wait to try. This is a must-have book. Not only for ATCs. Techniques from this book can be used on anything - in journaling, book altering, canvases. I just LOVE it! My plan is to work through all of the techniques and make cards for each of them. I will not describe the techniques (except the first one a little bit) because it would be a copyright problem and because everyone needs to have this book...
The first technique is "Intuitive Watercolor" and is simply a matter of splashing watercolors on paper and seeing and outlining shapes. FUN! There is no wrong way to do this! If you click on the picture you may notice how the face of the bird created itself. Do you see the beak and the eye? Wings and tail? After finishing the first bird I splashed some more color and was amazed to see the other bird! It was easy to add some found words and collage bits and I had a finished card. I hope you like it! And I hope you buy the book and join me in making little cards with new techniques.
- on eBay -

4 comments:

  1. I was working on some cards just today! I might have to buy that Bernie Berlin book! because I haven't made that many! but I have done that technique! Love your birdies! Get WELL! girly! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your atc is way cool and amazing. Yes I see the bird in the first one. GO AWAY Throat Snake! NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your wee birdy on ebay, Zorana - he's too cute!! I love seeing how you created him.
    Sadly we don't get Bernie's book over here till April, so I'll just have to be patient :o(
    And why hasn't that horrid throat snake left yet?!?! I'm just so glad he hasn't stolen your creative voice!
    Much love, Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like just what I need! Thank you for talking about this book. It's now on my list of ones to buy when I go to the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete