Sunday, October 8, 2006

To Portland and back!

I can't believe that I went to Art&Soul and came back already! Time passed so quickly... I will need much more time to process things that I learned, things that I saw, people I met... It was so great to be completely immersed in art for a few days, but it is so wonderful to be back home. Nothing better than seeing my husband waiting for me with open arms, my son's lovely smile and hear Hana trying to talk about her whole week all at once.
I didn't take as many photos as I thought I would. It didn't feel right clicking away and disturbing people you just met. But I did snap a few... The first one is from my hotel room, late in the evening. I managed to get on time to get registered and to receive my lovely fat book. The lock on my suitcase was broken (?!?) but the hotel people quickly took care of it (cut it off). I made a cup of coffee and opened the welcome package - a bottle holder box. It was full of little treasures - beads, ink pad, sweet smelling lavender pouch, golden products, a bendi doll, watersoluble pencils... What a treat to open! And the fat book is so amazing that I will look through it many times.
My first class was with Nina Bagley. I absolutely LOVE reading her blog and now will always 'hear' her voice while I read it. She commented that I have a lovely accent, and I had to reply that her southern accent is also absolutely great. This was a two-day class.... and all I can say is that I appreciate her art even more now. It is not an easy process to create that amazing jewelry... even if we had her enormous imagination and talent it would be very difficult to make those lovelies. I was so out of my comfort zone that I carefully chose the words to put on my pendant. They helped me move on and try to work on the piece. I drilled holes in stones!!! (One of the stones attacked me, and the Dremel fell from my hands in water and splashed my poor neighbor, and I turned it on even higher speed when I tried to turn it off... and it was embarrassing and scary.) I also made a groove all around a stone and am very proud of that! Can you see it in the photo?
Dan Essig is such a sweet man and amazing artist! I loved his class! I was familiar with the Coptic stitch, but never used 4 needles before. He was very organized and helped us every step of the way and made it easy and fun. I hope to have a chance to take a class with him again.
"Luminous Collaging Techniques" with Phoenix Forrester combined acrylics, collage and oil paint. It was not a structured class, more like a fun place to create fast and free. Unfortunately, I was not feeling well so I had to leave the class at lunch break. I managed to play with one canvas. At this point I can't add any collage pieces but plan to work more with oil colors.
My last and most anticipated class was with Carla Sonheim. What a beautiful and talented woman! Not only is she a great artist but also a wonderful teacher. It was magical to watch her create her sweet characters. I enjoyed the class very much! D.J. Pettit and Claudine Hellmuth were in the class too!


We were painting a family portrait. My family looked very gloomy at this stage. It made me laugh to look at our long, candle like figures. I was so inspired that I continued working on it late at night in my hotel room and finished the whole piece. Don't we look funny?

There are more things to share, but I'm tired and have a cold and can't wait to jump in the bed. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to be there. I am also very confused at this point. How to incorporate the things that I learned in my art and not be a copy cat... We'll see where it takes me.

3 comments:

  1. WOWIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I almost want to cry I'm soooo happy you are back and happy that YOU went! I remember back when you were trying to decide!!! lol and wish I could have gone and I LOVE your Nina necklace, "Make Mistakes" how cool is that??!!!and I commented on Claudine's family portrait,YOURS is sweet too! and how FUNny Zo! I ordered some patches off of Carla while she was away and I emailed DJ before she left! and YOU got to meet all these lovelies in person!!!! How EXCITING!!! well, I was just checking to seeee when I said I would have those atc's in the mail, did I say while you were away I would be working on them or sending them, anyway, I will get them in the mail this week, I LOVE my little butterfly square!!! Thanks!!! and GET WELL!!!!!!and REST!!! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zorana, What a fabulous experience - and what stunning pieces you created. Your family portrait is precious - treasure it! But for now just give yourself time and space to recover physically and let you mind and soul gradually absorb all you learnt... it will gradually emerge in your work... just give it time... Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! All blessings, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Z, I hope you feel better soon. Your art looks wonderful. Your family portrait is so precious. awww. Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete