Monday, September 25, 2006

Artwords - Miniature

1" collage squares
I saw these tiny collages for the first time on Tejae's blog.... after that on Chrysti's... and then I got bitten by the little square bug and had to try creating them. They are so sweet! But soooo tiny... I thought I knew how big 1" x 1" is, but you should have seen my face when I cut up my first piece of paper to that size! It was almost lost in my hand (as you can see on the photo).
A whole bunch of them can fit in the palm of my hand. They are like little jewels. I love them!I didn't notice Chrysti's tutorial, so I made mine differently. First I cut two-ply cardboard into 1" pieces. Then I found out that the paste papers that I didn't like in their original 12" x 12" size looked perfect when cut to pieces. I attached them to the cardboard so I had a sturdy piece to work with.
I cut out a little viewfinder to help me locate the photos. It is a fresh way of looking at things... many things I thought would be good were extra big, and some big photos had nice details when I looked through my viewfinder.
Then it was a matter of cutting tiny pictures from books, magazines and my own artwork; finding interesting words in old books (that was fun!), gluing it all together and adding hand painted details. I used a toothpick and acrylics, gel-pens, Sharpies, dimensional paint, watercolor pencils and even gold leaf on some cards.
I finished 24 cards.... and don't know what I'll do with them. For now - I just enjoy looking at them.
You can see baby me in one of the squares (sweet heart) and baby Hana (your reason?) on another square.

10 comments:

  1. a very interesting write-up of the technique. they look really excellent displayed as a group like that. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are adorable!!! Will have to give this 1" by 1" format a try ;) You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing, Zorana! Such incredible detail on something so small! And thanks for the tutorial - I just might have a go myself :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love them! I'm surprised you didn't go blind! You must have a lot of patience. I think they would look great on some kind of funky charm bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these too on Chrysti's Blog but haven't tried them yet! They are trading them, if you are interested ask Julie(TisJewel) about the swap! I haven't joined yet, just don't have the time! for a lot of swaps! LOVE yours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Z. I love your squares. Aren't they a hoot to make? Thanks for sharing them! I think you should sign up for the swap. Yuu're going to get done before me! ha!!
    tejae

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very cool. I had a thought while reading these. I wonder if you could collage the entire sheet FIRST and then cut them and do the finishing once cut. Might be easier to manage such a small piece. Just a lightbulb thought while reading. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are such fun. What is it about making tiny things that is so happy? Looking forward to making teensy tiny squares. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are just fabulous! I SO have to give this a try! :oD Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love these and I sense another art addiction coming on.

    Great write-up, thanks for sharing.

    Love your art work, too!

    ReplyDelete