Friday, June 2, 2006

Try It Tuesdays - Easy Plantable Seed Paper

You can see a lovely technique explained this week on "Try It Tuesdays". I am not participating this week. My paper making stash is buried somewhere... But I used to make paper all the time (two years ago) and I LOVED IT!!! I found some old photos to share.
This is how I made paper from fallen yellow ginkgo leaves. It is messy and doesn't look like much, but the result is AMAZING - a soft, beautiful, unique paper with rich fall colors.
Here is one tiny piece of the finished paper (layered over some other handmade paper) where you can see a bit of the texture and color.
And here is something that is easy and fun to do - making paper bowls. They are unbelievably strong. I have used the bowl pictured here for year now - it holds my car keys, change and stuff like that.Here are some other examples - bowls I made for an exchange for the PaperMaking group on Yahoo.Finally - a silly picture of me making blue colored paper... I didn't like the blue color but that was the only pigment I had and I had to try it.

2 comments:

  1. I love making paper although haven't done it for ages. I love your bowls.

    It's great that you use botanicals. I found that a bit daunting - with having to beat them up and use caustic soda (lye) to soften the fibres, so I make mine by recycling all the junk mail, sorting it into colours first.

    It yields a paper with a soft, fluffy texture and it can be pulled incredibly thin too. Adding some cornflour (cornstarch) to the vat or sprying with starch when the sheets are dry can make it suitable for writing on.

    I have some cotton linter squares (arnold gummer I think) but haven't used them yet. I'm planning to mix in some proportion with the recycled pulp to make a stronger paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey nice work i tried it long back i shud try again the paper bowls u made looks lovley.

    ReplyDelete