Thursday, March 9, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday - Sense - less ART

I wanted to try "Touch Drawing" for a long time... and obviously needed a challenge to finally do it. The girls from Inspire me Thursday say: This weeks challenge is to create a piece of art without using your senses." The first thing I thought was touch drawing. You should try it (even if my first pieces don't inspire you) because it's fascinating! You don't see what you are doing, you don't feel much (although you are using your fingers), oil paints have a smell but it's not that important) and you don't need sounds because everything comes from within. In a way - sense-less becomes a very sense-full experience.
The whole process is explained and demonstrated on the website ("Touch Drawing"). I used a piece of mylar, several colors of oil paint, roller and paper.... that's it! You roll the paint, cover it with paper and than use your tips of your fingers, nails, hands.... to draw on the paper. When it's finish you lift the paper and are surprised with the results.
The whole experience was wonderful and I wish I had more time to play. I had absolutely no expectations - you don't really know what's happening on the other side of the paper before you lift it. I was not creating it for sale (which is refreshing) and my inner critic had no reason to yell at me how untalented I was because I had an excuse for not doing it right. And I actually like the way some of it turned out. YAY!!! Thanks Misty & Melanie for the challenge!

My daughter Hana also loved the technique.

12 comments:

  1. So very cool! Love the red! Thanks for doing the challenge!
    Thanks for the great link too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-- that turned out terrific! I will have to try this for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!
    I rarely use paint brushes at all, except for little detail stuff...I always use my hands.

    And I still can't bring myself to finish my 5 Senses one from last week...I did a really textured background and painted it with 3 different colors, and I love it just like that! I think if I added anything else, it would take away from it. I've been trying to post pictures but blogger is not being very nice to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO cool. I have never heard of it - and now I am DYING to try this. Yours came out beautifully~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Zorana Girly, Please come over to my Blog today and leave a verse or two or some thoughts, I'm trying an experimental poem compiling of all us Bloggers!!! Go under the teakettle!!! Hope to seeeeeeeeeeeeee you there! and Thanks! for the compliments on my paintings, I'll be on the look-out for some more like these of yours!!! Happy Week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cool! Thanks for the link, I am so going to try this. Yours is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the comments about the "touch painting" technique and my senseless paintings. I'm glad if someone found the link informative and decided to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat technique! You did wonderfully! LOVE the color you chose as well! I'm definitely going to try this technique myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://artcgal2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete