Thursday, January 17, 2013

Finished!

I did it! There was some blood (never hold your fingers under an awl - it hurts), mishaps (realized that I'm short 4 inches of thread when I almost finished the stitching), but all in all - it is done and I am happy how it turned out.
I looked through Keith Smith's book (Non-Adhesive Binding Volume II) and wanted to do the binding shown on the right. Unfortunately, I didn't read the description well (the third binding is not even described in the book) and ended up with the middle one.
Not what I wanted, but still interesting enough.
This binding is done with two needles in two steps. You can see on the next photo my first try - how I came almost to the end and didn't have enough thread. 
Here are my two journals - last years, and the new one.
You can see the difference in papers - how filled and colorful is the "old" one and the pristine white pages of the new one.
I am usually not afraid of the white page (or canvas), but for some reason now I feel blocked and have no idea or inspiration what to do... how to start it. 
Do you mind giving me some inspiration?
Maybe suggest a medium, technique or image that you would like to see me try...
I feel like I'm in a deep sleep and need some artful waking up :)
xo

12 comments:

  1. WOW! What a gorgeous journal....the binding is an art form in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zorana the binding is beautiful...I am in awe!

    Lovely to see both journals together, the old and the new! I have just finished one of my moleskine journals and started another. I love the thickness and uneveness of the pages once they've been worked(quite textural). And nothing like the pristine pages of a new journal! What sort of paper have you used for journal pages? Is it watercolour?

    Am going to check out the book you've mentioned.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling! My last post was about just that...

    Have you thought of a word for the year? Perhaps this could jump start a few ideas?

    I have a box full of random prompts....let me pick 3 out for you just for the fun of it. Hold on, let me grab them....

    Okay, got them....reaching my hand in and picked:

    "peace of mind"

    next one *drum roll*

    "cuteness"

    and finally.....

    "green"

    Okay, not exciting, but maybe it did something for you?

    Beautiful books! I do hate it when I run out of thread just short of finishing a project! So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your new journal is gorgeous, I love the way it's bound by hand and the colour of the covers with the bird design. It looks to me like a magical book of spells!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Zorana! Inspiration? I am looking for some too. Have you seen Lynne Hoppe's blog? www.lynnehoppe.blogspot.com she has been using tracing paper or tissue and other papers to add interesting effects to her work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful ... Don't think I have the patience to do stuff like this LOL Thanks for the freebie, another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work Zorana. Beautiful stitching work, amazing.
    lovely greet and nice weekend
    Marja

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, love those books. And my word.....stitches. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is absolutely AWESOME! SO beautiful!

    A little glued-fabric-velvet-thin leather-collage?

    Using old (worthless) stamps?

    Smallest value torn up money bills?

    Shapes cut from colored plastic bags?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your fingers are okay. Gotta be careful with those awls. The journal turned out fantastic. I love the stitching pattern on the spine.

    As for inspiration I've always heard that all you have to do is make one mark on a page and that will get you started. Just grab a pencil, pen, marker or paintbrush and mark something on the page...then see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this turned out so very beautiful!
    the cover the stitching the peak of the pages .

    how about taking an ink pad or two and rubbing it on a page, let it dry. Then pour a small amount of gesso over it and spread it over the page, kind of scraping it here and there with a credit card. this will give you an awesome background with a hint of color coming through.

    ReplyDelete