Thursday, October 13, 2011

Evolution of The Voyage

It has been a while since I painted on a black background, so I thought it was time. I painted a layer of black gesso and with a white crayon sketched what I thought I wanted to paint.
It didn't take me long to stray from my drawing. A ship showed up, a tree, and moon.
Colors, shapes... I didn't have a color scheme, so I just played.
Suddenly she looked like her right side of the face was
 swollen, so I changed that. Wings covered the tree.
Wings for me simbolize safety and everything good, so I paint them often.
I tried changing the color of the house and girl, but it didn't work.
At this point I think I realized that I am painting the scenes that have been happening repeatedly in my dreams lately, so I just covered the girl and the house and went with it.
Almost done.... A thick layer of crackle paste, and umber glaze.
Almost done, but not quite there yet. I hope to show the finished piece tomorrow.
Can you guess what size is it?

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE watching the progression of this painting! The latest incarnation looks NOTHING like what I thought it would at the start. I love a good surprise! Plus, it's super beautiful.

    As for the size...well, it feels big (if that makes sense) but since it's in a book, I'm guessing it's probably not huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to say jumbo sized!

    Well, at least it's jumbo on charm, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to see how your art evolves - I love how free you are, changing direction, re-doing, following your original, then doing something completely different - adding, subtracting - wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for watching the processing of your painting. Love it. You are such a great artworker. You dare to change your painting totally and then I wonder the results, so beautiful.
    I look forward for the end results.
    Lovely greet Marja

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the freedom of how you make changes, and how even though we can't see all the details you began with, it's still all inside her and held so lovingly with wings.
    gorgeous!! dreamy! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am getting an 18X24 feeling for size, except seeing work posted is
    tricky. People are often surprised to see size if they see the posting first.

    Really so many beautiful paintings here, great faces and composition of the ideas that float around with you frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love watching the progression of your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU for being so generous in showing the evolution of your painting. It gives those of us who struggle a boost in confidence to see that it is "OK" to cover up a part that doesn't work instead of giving up in frustration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post Zorana! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved watching the progression of your painting and how you can go with the flow and change direction. Thanks for sharing.
    My guess on size is 15 x 40 inches?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The evolution of this painting is amazing. Interesting how you eliminated the colors towards the end.

    I can't wait to see the finished work.

    ReplyDelete