Friday, December 4, 2009

Homework

I did the almost the same thing every day this week. Worked hard at work, spent some time with Hana, then painted "homework" portraits for the rest of the evening. There was some late night cooking, NCIS in the background, snuggling and stuff like that, but mostly work and painting.
This was an interesting exercise - two colors, dark and light and some shades in between.

The next one taught me a big lesson - there are many different watercolor papers. I mean, I knew that, but was never aware what a huge difference it makes in a painting. The following face was painted on a very inexpensive, rough paper. I had a horrible time trying to blend anything, paint was drying up in record speed, seemed like it lost half of the pigment etc.

Then I purchased Arches hot press paper and there was a world of difference. I used the same colors on both paintings and they look completely different! It was a challenge because I painted with an unfamiliar brush, color combinations that I don't use and on an easel (which I never do).

More faces that were done today and I think that I'm "faced out" and ready for something new.

It's Friday!!!!! I'm about to watch the last ever Monk episode.... I am going to miss him.....

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a huge difference between the two kinds of paper! All the faces look wonderful....you always capture such great expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zorana... you have been busy with faces!!! Wonderful!!!

    I know what you mean about the watercolour paper. I'm doing gouache classes at the moment and found a few of the cheaper and more textured papers didnt work well at all...learnt by that mistake. I love the Fabiano paper at the moment.
    Hahhhh NCIS, I am still watching replays too and I cant believe you love Monk too!!!! He's my favourite, so quirky and eccentric (think I love that in people). I have taken to watching the Mentalist now too. Simon Baker plays a sort of contemporary version of Monk I think. Do you get that in the USA (I know it is made over there even though Simon is an Australian).

    Take care and keep up the painting frenzy!

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your faces look so good! I'm going to miss Monk too, sigh. Oh well, I tried 1 face, now I'm off to try another!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zorana,

    Wow your homework is great. I have not had time t do mine yet. Great examples with the 2 kinds of paper. What a difference between them. Hasn't this been a great class.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these...all of them. Cheap paper or not. This is funny because I recorded my preference for hot or cold press in my next video...you'll have to tune in to see. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your two-color portrait! What a beauty. You're a talented artist, so I'll be back to see more of your work.

    Merry Christmas ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know Monk was leaving...he's a funny guy.
    Your faces are amazing as usual!

    ReplyDelete