Sunday, November 16, 2008

I accepted a dare

A couple of weeks ago my dear friend wrote that she picked some wild flowers and that she is sending them to me. Imagine my surprise when I returned from work one day and this greeted me:
Of course I didn't have to look at the address to know that it was Norah's work. I left the box unopened for ages and just looked at it. So many things to see! Notice the shapes and colors and funny eyes and fish and the dreamy creature:
More of it on the back:
And then the side..... she didn't forget that. I really thought that I will forever "always be happy" when I saw it there.
After two hours my daughter insisted that I open the package. So I did. Package after package after package.
I will be selfish and not share all the treasures found in there. But I'll show you the wild flower. It was hidden between the pages of a book.
The book is called "I Dare You!" And that was the theme of the package.
Here is the sweetest painting on one of the front pages. And another wildflower.At the bottom of the box there was this adorable bag:Inside - a surprise! Another "I Dare You" book! One for Sharon and one for me. So that we can play inside the pages and exchange them and play some more until they can't close from all the art inside.
And because she is the wingkeeper, she started 'my' book with a single feather and a poem.
I never collaborated with anyone on anything. And I am beyond scared to play in these books... scared to 'ruin' them, or create something that she won't like (or I won't like). But the gift was so beautiful and the title of the book so perfect and the thought of looking at her art up close just so inviting that I plan to step out of my comfort zone and allow art (good or bad) to just be. I hope we fill the pages of two little books with good energy, thoughts and friendship. Thanks Sharon.

14 comments:

  1. What a well planned and generous, amazing gift! Wow...I'm really jealous...don't be timid working in that book.....they are going to be magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a wonderful gift and one you get to keep enjoying as the books expand and spill over with art and friendship. You're both going to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I am beyond excited that we dare to do this. Thank you xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zorana, I love your work, what a artist you are. I hope that you don't mind that I tagged you and added you to my blog list. Toni
    artisajourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW FANTASTIC!! WHAT A TREASURE!! Enjoy and have a great wek! Glad to catch up on your blog Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sitting at my computer screen smiling thinking of you receiving this package. And treasuring each moment of opening it (and each moment of antipication before you opened it).
    Sharon is an incredible artist (and a lovely friend by the sounds of it). I am sure you will both create wonderful art. And have books full of love and treasure at the end.

    I would collaborate with you any day :)

    Lots of love

    Dot xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful, wonderful gift!! be sure to share your creations with us :o)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool is that! You will make amazing art in these. I tried this very same thing with a friend of mine (many months ago) and she still has not attemped to make any art in the book. I was trying to jump start her creative juices.
    We have been friends for 45 years and we are supposed to work in the book and send it back to the other for our birthdays and Christmas instead of gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice showing of what you were surprised with!...and then of course, I sad the drawing...I just KNEW it was Sharon's...but of course! What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely box of gifts that your received from Norah. Her art works are really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. just started to read your blog- and i love it. BEAUTIFUL book omgoodness- so inspirational!
    x0x0-ak-xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a heartfelt package!

    I love the collaborative book effort...you and Norah/Sharon will have such fun (and we will have lots of fun seeing it all).
    I love the wildflower and the wonderful pages that Sharon has done in your book...she's such a talent, I love her art!
    Beautiful package from a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so many treasures - what lovely friends you have. it all sounds very exciting! Please share your pages on your blog... I know they'll be wonderful! - vicki xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo this looks so so cool. I love getting fun post (who doesn't?!) Really looking forward to seeing what you do with the altered book. I tried altering a book but I failed miserably. I'd like to try again though. I'm sure you will inspire me - oh, you already have!

    ReplyDelete