Friday, May 16, 2008

Creating life.... and art

Every spring my daughter finds a big green caterpillar. She takes care of it, bringing fresh greens daily and perfect sprigs where she can attach and form into a chrysalis. Couple of weeks later we are all rewarded with the sight of a beautiful butterfly. First time she witnessed it, she said excitedly: "I created life!" She was little then, but we didn't forget it... so every year my dh and repeat her words.
For some reason I was inspired to grab a huge (extra very big) piece of paper and graphite and give myself 15 minutes to come up with something... There was a time when anything bigger than an ATC (2.5 x 3.5") was too big for me. Not today... I took a picture with my hand in it so that you can see how big this was. I started with no expectations, drew fast, had fun smudging...
Then I decided to add some color... but just before I started my dh returned from work. I had another quick idea - I grabbed the poor man and put some pastels in his hand and told him to color whatever he wants. After a puzzled look he started adding green to her hair (she loves coloring parts of her hair green and my dh and I don't like it). Then he turned loose with the background... and soon we were both having fun with it. At the end we called Hana to add her touch (she added more green in hair).
It was great! It took less than 30 minutes from start to finish and made my heart smile. What a great way to finish a Friday... and a sign that the weekend will be perfect. Hope that your weekend is perfect too.

8 comments:

  1. It is amazing! I'm blown away with each and every step (photo) of the way. What fun you had. What fun Hana had. What fun dh had. What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being spontaneous. You don't know what to expect. What a great way to start the weekend. I hope it's a good one for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! What a fantastic idea to sahre with my daughter...if I ever see a caterpillar..now I can be on the look out. I love the family project- you guys are so neat!

    Please tell Hanna that I LOVE her haircut too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It is beautiful.

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great portrait! I love it!! Shonna

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool! How nice that you involved everyone in your drawing.

    Hana is just as beautiful as you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post. I was so happy to see you in the latest Artful Blogging mag. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. z...what a beautiful and heart warming post...i have missed so much while i was distracted...your journal pages have reminded me how much i miss that ritual...hugs and blessings, rebecca

    ReplyDelete