Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sharing an un-success

Taking a break from the ladies and birds. I played today with a little intuitive watercolor ATC card.
I splashed some watercolors on the card, "saw" the picture immediately but wasn't sure how to draw it, so I started with a pencil. Added pen lines over, some light stamping and stitches to frame it. I don't know if it shows, but the girl is holding an open egg shell and a butterfly emerged from it. I used that image in several collages/paintings a long time ago and was actually surprised today when I started drawing it again.
Here is where the un-success and coincidence come into play. I found a package in front of my door today and wondered what it was (as I am not expecting anything). It was from Somerset magazine. I submitted two art pieces 15 months ago and haven't heard from them since. Well, they decided that they are not good enough for publishing and of all days today my art reappeared. See the egg and butterflies? Isn't that an interesting coincidence?
Here is the other piece that I submitted. I thought that eggshells and embossing (on the wings and the egg above) are interesting. I was obviously wrong.... A short while ago rejection like this would have crushed my self-esteem. I don't know why - but today it didn't... Well, not a lot... but I don't plan on summiting art again to Somerset anytime soon.

7 comments:

  1. Your art has developed and grown in the last 18mos. Your series of faces has a balance and composition that is not in your submitted pieces. I'd give Somerset another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting seeing how your intuitive watercolor ATC card developed. I like the open egg shell and butterfly emerging. How interesting that your received some of your art back from Somerset Studio today and that one of the pieces had a a egg and butterflies! Love the synchronicity of that.

    I don't think Somerset Studio returning your art was a ' un-success' though. Your art has developed and grown a lot since I first ' met' you and these pieces of art were not meant to be in Somerset. Glad this hasn't crushed your self esteem. You are a wonderful artist and a beautful person.

    By the way I don't think it says much about Somerset that they held onto your art for so long. Not very nice of them.

    Love the second piece in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poo poo Somerset...that is way too long in my opinion. I like those pieces and if/when I have a magazine (ha!!) I will pupblish something you make i EVERY issue. :)

    I have heard the same thing about Somerset before...that is why I don't make something to submit..I have no idea where I will be when it is returned!! Art floating around without anyone to love it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think they're both wonderful, and at least by putting them on your blog lots of us get to see them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is that about the test of time? Oh, I don't know but it is a bit discouraging to know that when you submit something it is out there in limbo for so long. Other than a challenge,I don't think I will be submitting to anyone. I'll wait for them to ask.
    haha.......you know they will.
    Loved seeing the progress of your little successful watercolor play. I also love serendipitous days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm... That was one of my promises to myself this month--that I would send some pieces in to Somerset Studio. Now I'm not so sure...

    I think your pieces are beautiful! Their loss, not yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't feel alone. I sent a piece in a couple of years ago and waited 6 months before writing to them. The theme was red and so was my breaking heart when the piece was returned with no letter or anything at all to tell me "no thanks". When the red theme came out, there was a piece (a paper mache bust) covered in papers and doo dads. Mine was the chest cut open and things inside... etc. Anywho, it just tore my heart out that they did not even send a note or anything. Now I am terrorfied to send anything in.

    ReplyDelete