Friday, April 20, 2007

My journals

I read "Anne Frank's Diary" when I was in third grade... and I have been writing journals ever since. I have written entries about how I found a doll that my mom bought and hid (to give me for Christmas), entries about first loves, frustrations with myself, easy successes in school, not so easy relations with friends, book excerpts, lists of songs, dreams, sadnesses... Few days after I met my (future) husband, he said (with a smile) that I should stop writing journals, because there is not enough paper in the world or time for writing all that we'll do together... We've been together 23 years. I guess that he was right. And yes - I did stop writing everyday entries... but never stopped having a journal. Or more than one...
I have journals for many different purposes and I love them all. Here are my favorite, black moleskins. So simple on the outside... one would never guess what's inside.
I use one of my moleskins when I travel or when I have something important that I want to record. On the following picture is my entry about ArtFest (how I received the welcome package and decided not to go... that's why there is a photo of me when I was little); then there is a description of classes I took at Art&Soul, and finally the last workshop with Kelly Kilmer. Just looking at those pages takes me back to the day I wrote them and I can remember everything.
My other moleskin is less colorful. It lives in my bag and goes everywhere with me. Usually I write in it when I'm waiting for Hana to finish a class or something similar. Sometimes I write in it outside.... in a middle of a walk or something like that. On rare occasions I decide to try and sketch Hana while she's playing tennis (on the following photo), but I'm so bad at it, so I don't do it often.
I do have a real sketch book:
Sometimes I get books about sketching from the library. Unfortunately, I never spend enough time studying them... but when I do, this is where I play:
I have another, huge book, where I write whatever I want. I don't censor my thoughts in this journal because I plan to eventually tear out the pages and throw them away. They are not something I want to keep or read again. I started using this journal for my 'morning pages', but they turned to be - 'any time I need to vent' pages:
Then there is my plain looking art journal with big white sturdy pages.
Usually I use it when I'm frustrated and want to create something, but am not sure what... I start painting those pages and magically the result always makes me happy. I am currently not working on the left pages, but I think I'll go back and fill them in... or maybe I won't.... I don't know.
I have another journal... (can you believe it?)... but I'll write about it tomorrow. So, what prompted me to show my journals? The fact that I received one from my dear friend Connie. Not only did she create a lovely journal for me, she incorporated on the cover page bits and pieces of things that represent our friendship and the art adventures we shared. I was very touched when I read about it in her blog entry... and even more when I actually received the journal.
Do you think that I don't need another journal? Wrong. I do need one. And I wanted one for a while.... I never had a gratitude journal, never thought I needed one. Well... I do. I have been feeling really down (like black/gray/depressed/confused down) much longer than my normal PMS time and I think I need to count my blessings, to write and recognize all the good things that surround me. What could be better for recording those good energy thoughts than a gift from a friend (thank you Connie)?
I would love to peek in your journals... Leave me a comment and a link if you're willing to share. :-)

12 comments:

  1. Oooh, dear lady - the secret's out - you have as bad an addiction to journals as I do!!!!!!!!!!! There is truly nothing more lovely than a pile of journals :o) And I too adore my moleskines! When I eventually get my camera from the repair shop, I'll take pics and share some of mine - I'm just thrilled to know you too have about five on the go at once!!!! Now I don't feel so greedy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello

    just flown in from lovely Dotee - i'm enjoying my visit and seeing your art work - being a birdy person I particularly love seeing them in your work ....... will linger here for a little while *!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a journal, but I think I may start one soon. Your entry is very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again you've struck a note with me. I've been trying to get myself to start an art journal. I keep a written journal and have for many years but the art part just scares me! After seeing all the different journals you have I think I might just start off with a "doodle" journal and work my way up!
    I hope your gratitude journal will help you feel better. Being depressed is no fun at all. I'm sending you happy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the journals.There can never be too many of them either. I still mainly keep written ones adn ahve done for nearl y years. I also keep a journal for each of my children which is for them to keep when they are much, much older. Forf the last couple of years my journals have been becoming more artful since I discovered the concept of art journals. Until then the arty side of journalling was taken care of by scrapbooking. Not naymore. I need to put paint on paper! I'll take some photos and share very soon. I put a little bit about journals on my blog yesterday, oddly enough stemming form kelly Kilmer's blog question about what was on our shelves..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your journals, I'm also addicted. I make my own with decorated papers. My current one goes everywhere with me, I keep going back and adding to it all the time, even while I'm in the car and waiting at traffic lights, it helps takes the hassle out of driving.
    I don't mind red lights anymore.
    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  7. wOW What an inspiration. I have one 'diary' rather than journal and several books lying around but nto really thought I could have several on the go at once until NOW !! So thank you for that ! They look great! ANna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your journals are so brilliant and detailed. Even the quiet ones are filled with energy. I'd let you peek at mine but I tend to misplace them and then start another and misplace it and then start another. Well, you get the picture. One of these days I'll get them all in one place, cut them up and put them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so impressed by the quality and amount of journals you have Zorana! I used to write in a journal every day but haven't for some time. Do have a large visual journal that I do a layout in from time to time.

    Yours are all so beautiful! And you have inspired me to journal more often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those journals are so beautiful! I haven't had one since junior high and had a bad experience when I lost it an a couple of boys found it and teased me.I kept it with me because I didn't want my mother to read it. I like what you said about the journal you will tear the pages out and throw away. Thanks for the inspiration to begin anew. And the journal from Connie is a Treasure! xxoo Astrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so enjoyed reading your post about your journals. I kept a gratitude journal for a while, and it was really uplifting at a time when I particularly needed that. I should do it again....and maybe you should consider it too?

    Thanks so much for sharing this part of your inner self.

    ReplyDelete
  12. zorana,
    you've touched so many with this lovely post!!

    A dilemma: I feel a need to record my thoughts, personal milestones and would love to keep track of blessings, quotes, songs to download & art inspirations! Then why did I stop using my journals???

    You've got me re-thinking this one with all of your lovely things. Thank you!! - vicki xo

    ReplyDelete