Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Metal, mica, paper, transparency layers

I had big plans for today, but a bad headache destroyed them... I did manage to make at least one thing. This is something I saw in the new Cloth Paper Scissors magazine. There is an article by Lesley Riley. As soon as I saw how beautiful it is I knew I had to try it...
This is a combination of watercolor paper, heat treated copper, mica, transparency, fibers... My sewing machine deserves a gold medal for sewing through all the layers. She did complain (make a strange noise and jump from time to time) but the needle didn't break and all the stitches look just like I wanted them, so I'm happy. I was pretty much following the directions in the article, but it turned out differently, so I'm not a complete copy cat... (just 80%).

10 comments:

  1. Amazing Zorana! Wish I could come and play at your place with you.

    This is so, so beautiful. Your art is so earthy and meaningful.

    Glad your sewing machine has survived sewing through so many layers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Leslies work but this is better than the CPS example. I love that all the texture and layers are visible and the colours are so 'right'.

    A very peaceful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! I don't know if my machine would sew through all that! Maybe I'll have to test it out and see what happens. I love the birdie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your creative drive is just extraordinary, dear Zorana!! I am constantly in awe of what you produce - you see something, you try it and you bring something beautiful into being - all with a headache - AMAZING!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's outstanding! I love it! You just want to reach out and touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through my dear friend, Dot in Australia. I have just spent quite a while going through your blog... smiling... and gasping. What gorgeous, gorgeous art you have shared with us! Everything is absolutely lovely. Anytime you want to participate in a altered book or round robin swap with me, just let me know. I will be back!

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the beautiful birides you make... I remember when Dotee first forwarded me your Etsy link... very clever and unique idea!

    Best to you,

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out beautifully! I just bought that issue of CPS, and I think yours looks uniquely you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful, zorana! i read that article and now that i've seen yours, i will need to try it! i sent the painting off on tuesday so hopefully you'll have it today!

    ReplyDelete