Friday, December 6, 2013

Acrylic skin (for Julie)

I think I never made acrylic skins before. I often marveled how simple it seems and how fun it must be, but I don't think I actually had that "push" to do it. Until I read Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's post yesterday. She wrote that she saw a technique in THIS video and was desperate to try it, but couldn't because she is traveling. I understood that feeling so well - when you see something and you itch to try it immediately, but can't because you are at work, or have other stuff that must be done... 
I thought I should do it for her, because at that moment I was at home, had the time and the few materials needed for it. You will see it in the video - you need gloss medium (I used Liquitex Gloss Gel), some dimensional paint in a squeeze bottle (I had Scribbles 3D fabric paint), and a page protector.
 After letting it dry overnight, I was able to peal a thin (rather sticky) transparent layer of black scribbles. How fun!
You can put it over anything! Here it is just laid over the bird painting I'm working on. You can see the brush strokes clearly, but they will be lost once they are layered in a finished piece. This is just a quick example, the "I must do it now" kind of thing. I can only imagine how cool can it be with different colors, thought out shapes... 
I used pieces of it already, but am not done yet, so here is just a snippet of it.
Let me know in the comments if you ever used acrylic skins in your art.

5 comments:

  1. Hi!! Never with 3D paints....but we have a whole class devoted to skins! Paint skins, photo skins...they are awesome to LAYER! I have a skin making day so I can have a stash of them anytime I need an embellishment for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great technique, thanks for sharing Zorana!
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used it but it looks like a wax painting...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´ve never jused acrylic Skins, but it looks very interesting, It is a great Idea vor art journals

    greets Nadine

    ReplyDelete