Sunday, April 29, 2012

How to make very fake washi tape

I have purchased only one roll of washi tape ever. Do you know why? There are so many choices, and they are reasonably affordable, and I have a problem choosing. I tried ordering several times, got lost in all the colors and patterns and gave up. I decided to make my own, very, very fake version using just three things: 1 collage sheet printed on regular office paper, a paper cutter and tiny xyron sticker maker.
 It couldn't be easier. First I cut my paper strips.
 Then I admired them.
 Pulled them through the little machine.
 Made a long roll...
I even put two smaller strips of paper at once (to preserve the tape). I doesn't bother me that one of them slipped a little.
 At the end I trimmed them with regular scissors. And now I have a nice stack of colorful paper snippets. They really are not anything like washi tape, except that the size is similar and that is so easy and convenient to tear a piece and put it somewhere.
I already started using them in my journal. Fun!
Click here to see how Cameron used her Xyron machine :-)

17 comments:

  1. How gorgeous..... you're so innovative. What a lovely way to dress up a present, use in our journals.

    I've got one of those little things.....somewhere???? Now I need to look for it.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration! I LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!! Gotta love a Xryon in any size!
    I have not thought of this! How can that be?! Thank you for the wonderful idea!!

    ...and for the little linky love...heehee ;P
    Mwuah,
    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of these Xryon things and now I need one. I love what you have done with the collage papers and I guess you have made me a poor girl now ha ha.
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tapes--my favorite step in the instructions was after you cut the strips, "admire them"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been using my xryon for this purpose but seeing your strips has inspired me to start using my images. I have made some strips from music sheets and tissue paper but you have given me the idea to paint a row of faces and birds, I hope you don't mind? I love yours and if you had sheets of them in your shop I would buy them for washi making! However, I will make my own so thank you for the inspiration! It is fun isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. clever idea-just what I needed to hear about

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made some tapes like this but I've never used my own images (??) so now you've inspired me to get busy and make some of my own design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the same thing! It's SO much more fun to use my own work than someone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those more than washi tape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, between you and Cam I now neeeeeeed another new item lol ;o)

    I love your 'fake tape' looks great to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zorana,

    These are fabulous, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent idea...I too, love the step of just admiring them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent idea...I too, love the step of just admiring them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good idea. I recently found a technique from Christy on Art Geeks, where she paints and stamps her own washi tape on cloth tape found in the first aid department at the drug store... and then winds it back up on an old spool of some kind! That works great too, and can incorporate your own writing or painting. My only issue is finding a way to use the tape. I am making "Christmas" washi tape for my daughter to use on her gifts this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this, I don't have a Xyron, but double sided sellotape could work out the same? I like the bit about admiring the strips first.

    ReplyDelete