Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Linocut - first try

Not really my first try. I did it many decades ago in elementary school. I remember that I was terrified and that it was very difficult. Either the material changed, or years of playing with other stuff helped, because this time it was not complicated, just interesting.
 Granted, I didn't create a masterpiece, but it is a start. I used the bird image from the previous post, and without knowing how thick or thin the cuts should be, bravely went for it. 
I was surprised to see that I needed to ink it twice to get a presentable image. Maybe I have too much black space, or didn't put enough pressure, or ink.... or I just don't know what I'm doing. On the left side is my printed piece with one ink pass, on the right with two ink passes. I like it :-) 
Of course, when I tried to over-ink the other piece, it didn't turn out that well... but still pretty interesting. I tried scratching into it, but not much happened (since the background was now black). 
 The supplies are pretty affordable, so I know I'll try it again. I wonder how the wider lines will look, or if I cut words, will they show up, etc. For the end - this is the "fancy" tool I used to press and burnish my lino - a meat mallet (not the prickly side). Very sophisticated ;)

5 comments:

  1. Haha.. maybe materials changed or just your approach did. You didn't have to do it, you wanted to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool, I liked the last one especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great experiment!
    I also did it at elementary school and never again. Your experiment shows I should also try again. It looks like fun and the result is very interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete