Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Color Explorations - Yellow & Black

Did you know that when you mix black and yellow you get green? I didn't. It makes sense, when I think about it, but I never thought of it before I played with them in my pretty red moleskine
Of course depending on which black and which yellow you choose, the results are different. My plan with these color explorations is not to get into color theory. I am not mixing clean pigments, primary colors etc... I just took the black I have (mars black, Golden) and all the yellows I could find and combined them. Look at my palette! Love it!
Here is a page I painted in my journal. One yellow, one black, white and the biggest challenge of all - no stabillo pencil.
This is with different yellow, and it mostly is yellowish, but when you look at it there is a lot of green too.
This one is on wood. Quick, expressive, just seeing what can I get with a limited palette.
Here I used all yellows mixed with black and white in different proportions.
Although I liked it, I wanted to push it a bit more so later I added other colors. I filmed a video of it, so as soon as I get time to edit it, I'll show you what happened.
If you try this color combination, post a link in the comments so I can see :-)

2 comments:

  1. Yes to all the greens!!! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are each a joy to see!
    your palette is quite appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete