Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A fun technique to try

I usually don't have too much time for art on weekends, but try to sneak something in when I can. This is something I did on Sunday in less than an hour. I used my very inexpensive sumi ink and a brush, and on regular office paper very quickly made many sketches of birds. 
Working this fast and with a brush that I can't really control allows wonderful, imperfect characters to show up. And it is deeply relaxing, which for me is always a plus.
Now I have many drawings to play with. I chose a random one to add to my journal. Since the paper is thin, I simply glued it on - not worrying about the edges showing, and then painted over it and around.
As silly as it is, I really love this face. I don't think I would have ever done it if I tried a more careful approach with my brush. 
I wanted to see if the ink will transfer - and it did! You can still see some paper fuzzies on the image bellow, but I was happy how quickly and how well it transfered to an already textured and painted background. 
So there it is... something quick and fast to try in your art journal.
I hope you'll give it a try.

9 comments:

  1. This looks like fun! You come up with such good ideas and I like how you follow through and use the little bits you create. Love the transfer bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice exercise in having FUN with your art and not worrying about the end result.....which turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love them and him! not been commenting a lot but i'm still here following your playtimes! thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i love this zorana! and thank you for the tip that the ink works in image transfers! yes, this is why i love painting with sumi ink - it's impossible to get too detail oriented, and the ink has a mind of its own that expresses so much.

    wow, now i wanna go try a sumi ink image transfer. : )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic! Love them all together in a happy feathery pile like that!
    Transferring is something I have not successfully tried yet....this looks promising :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The transfer thing is brilliant!!! Love all your black birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see your work Zorana. Fantastic to read and to see.
    lovely greet
    Marja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zorana, I like the idea of doing quick bird sketches in ink. I have done this with faces but not birds. It's a great idea that I will try when my hand it back to 100%. I had surgery a couple weeks ago.As always I love your birds and the sunflowers are amazing.

    ReplyDelete