Thursday, April 7, 2011

Different views on art

While my eyes were searching for art in architectural details of the old city...
  ...my daughter's attention was focused on a completely different art form:
 This is where her interests lay her right now:
 And while I'll agree that graffiti art is fascinating, and I admire the shapes and colors (although I can't read anything) - I also think that it doesn't beautify the surroundings in most occasions and do not approve of graffiti art everywhere.
Luckily, she does her graffiti art on paper and tapes it to the wall. Except in one case.
She started one on my 12"x36" canvas using markers. After the letters were placed, she decided that it's not going to look the way she planned it, so she returned the canvas. I painted two layers of black gesso over it and covered all the marks. Then I started painting a face. At first the purple (on the left side) started to seep through and I liked the effect. After I allowed the first layers to dry I was surprised to see the marker showing through. I painted a layer of heavy gel medium over it, then added more paint and yet - more marker marks showed up. How interesting! Who would have guessed that gesso and mediums and paint wouldn't work to cover it... I said bye bye to this face and solved the problem in a different way (which I will show you soon).

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you're doing!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a high school art teacher, I like both art forms, so would love to see mother & daughter collaborate...
    ps~ Tell your daughter she has a lot of talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The architecture shots are beautiful. Graffiti is not my style but I do see some things where I think the artist is quite talented.

    Interesting that nothing you used covered the markers.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing that seals mark is kilz primer for walls. When my daughter was a teenager, I let her write on her walls. One of her friends used marker so than they all did. Lesson learned the hard way. It took two coats! Do love your angels. I can't read graffiti either but it does fascinate me as it seems to play dimensional planes.

    ReplyDelete