Sunday, February 3, 2008

Playing art with Norah

It's no secret that I am constantly inspired by Sharon's creations, but what she came up with yesterday surprised even me. She invited me to a Saturday long distance art party! Her idea was that we should draw and paint with our non-dominant hand and send the progress pictures over the day to one another. I write with my right hand, but draw and paint only with my left, so sketching with my right hand felt weird. If sketching with my right hand felt unusual, holding a paint brush was even worse. I felt like I was trying to stab the paper... After seeing napkin that Norah used I decided to use a different part of the same napkin. Just to show how we can use the same thing and get completely different results. Laying the base color and stamping a little over it wasn't too difficult.
Actual painting was a challenge. For me everything was opposite. I mostly use an angle brush when I paint, so holding it in my right hand made everything feel like it's upside down. The angles, the sides that I paint first... Sharon kept sending me her progress pictures and reminding me "no expectations". That helped.
This is the moment when I decided I didn't like anything about my painting, so I grabbed some colored papers from my stash. I changed completely the background and added the little bird.
Sooner or later I had to attack the eyes... I took my tiny brush and started messing up the eyes... The only way I could do it was to take the paper off of the watercolor block and turn it around and around, allowing my left (dominant) hand to guide the paper for my right (scared) hand that was holding the brush. Is that cheating? I hope not.
I didn't do much shading on the face. I just couldn't. I need to have good control of my brush to blend it exactly as I want it and it just wasn't possible with my right hand. Maybe I'll be braver next time. I'm actually amazed that I was able to create anything with the opposite hand. Here is the final photo. I used some watersoluble crayons, added the words (At first we hope too much. Later on, not enough) and called it finished.This was so much fun! I am ever so thankful to my bbff for waking me up from my art sleep. I hope she inspired you too to try something unusual... Check out the masterpiece she created and look for the new Artful Blogging magazine for 6 lovely pages of her art.

16 comments:

  1. I'm here to say Thank you for playing ART with me. It was so much fun. I wish sweeping my kitchen and raking the leaves outside could be that much fun.
    Your painting is so absolutely beautiful and your words that you added, "just enough"
    Her face is beautiful. OK, so I think this proves that we are more than what we think we are sometimes.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You accomplish with your non-dominant hand more beautiful art than I could ever create with my dominant one! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both did an amazing job and yes I am inspired to give it a try.I love your little birds with the crowns.
    suze:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great....I love how you had a long distance party and I also love the challenge you took. I can't believe your result...stunning!! Great art with both hands =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is wonderful Zorana! You are much braver than I am! You go girl! I might have to try this soon and see what happens! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant stuff. And what a fun idea Norah came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came here via Nora's blog...you did an awesome painting, love the finished look...it is amazing...
    you both just blew me away with doing this with your non'dominant
    hand....
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful it is for you and Sharon to have a painting party.
    The results are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i wish i could have played art with you all...but alas, work and life has kept me away from blogging too long...love the work...love sharon's inspiration also...keep it up...i am going to try this...hugs, rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is superb! Good to see the step by step progression. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you via one of those bread crumb journeys through the blog world-already bookmarked your site. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing Triumph!
    Sandra Evertson

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!! You did great!!!! She is darling. I love her.

    xo Rella

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zorana - your art blows me away. I think it is incredible that you can create something so beautiful withn your non dominant hand. I love this idea. And am sure that both you and Sharon enjoyed your long distance art day.

    Must check out what Sharon created!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S I like what Sharon said about being more than we think we are too.

    ReplyDelete