Friday, September 28, 2007

Home....

(that's me when I was a little girl)
I'm going HOME (insert Chris Daughrty's song here)! Home is where your heart is. Or, in this case, where the red arrow shows.
I guess a part of our heart always stays where we were born. I was born in Belgrade, a city that used to be the capital of Yugoslavia.... a country that has changed its size and name many times in the last 10+ years. I still call it by that name... It's easier for politicians to change the borders and names than to change what's in my heart.
The last time I was there was six years ago... a long time. I will leave on Wednesday and stay a bit longer than two weeks. My mom is out of the hospital, but she is very weak and the broken arm and rib don't make movements after hip surgery easy. She needs a lot of help. I am so happy that she finally said that I can come and help. My emotions are all stirred up right now.... I can't even think straight. The excitement of seeing her, my father, friends, familiar streets.... and leaving my family here. Everything is mixed up.

8 comments:

  1. So so happy for you. I'll be thinking of you every day and wondering what you are doing. I think you answered all my questions.
    See you at the beach.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. O! Zorana! I AM mixed up too today! My Gina just left our driveway leaving WV, her home for a new beginning 9 hours away from me! I am in tears today! We are going through some emotional stuff together!!! (((((Zorana)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Pea.....I am so happy you will see your family and be home..be able to hug your frail Mom and walk the streets of childhood again. Much love to you as you travel.

    Last night I received the most amazing gift...and you know what it is...the very, very special Angel with butterfly painting. I got home so late and was so drained from the day and week and in one instant felt the warmth of compassion and a heart filled with love and generosity. YOU! I love, love, love this piece and feel just blown away by it. I put her close to my bed and looked at her when I woke up this morning. What a wonderful blessing she is...you are. And the special birdie card, another amazing gift from you. I pray you will be blessed 1000 fold for the love you gave to me. I KNOW that you will.

    xox Love Rella

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered when I saw your name. I went to school years ago with a girl called Zora from Yugoslavia. When I was young I spent many happy holidays there and from what I have seen recently, things are returning to normality in all the little areas. Hope you have a lovely time and will enjoy the chance to look after your Mom and return some of the care she gave you when you were young.
    Take care and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will have a wonderful time! I am excited for you. Have a safe trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What we are nostalgic for is the lost childhood. I am happy for you to be able to put a fresh face on your memories. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zorana, I call my parents house "home" too. It was easy up to last November as we used to live in a flat so it also kind of made sense, but we are in a house too now, and still I talk about home as somewhere else, although I do not feel a strong attachment to it. Yes my parents are still there, and most of my real friends are in the region, but I think the attachement is down to a haze of memories from the days when a lot of the daily problems were invisible.

    Have a good trip, you can only be in one place at a time, and it is good that you can be with your mum to help. Prompt recovery to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been around for a few days so I didn't know you were leaving. It will be good to see your mom and your hometown but I'm sure you'll miss your own family. How wonderful that you can go and help your mom at this time. I'm sure it will be a special time for both of you.

    ReplyDelete